Join our friendly, professional team and help us to engage a diverse audience with freemasonry’s unique cultural heritage. The Library and Museum of Freemasonry is an Accredited Museum and holds a Designated collection.
Visitor Assistant (Full Time)
Are you passionate about museums and dedicated to excellent customer service? We are currently recruiting a Visitor Assistant to join our friendly front of house team. An excellent communicator, you will be responsible for welcoming visitors to the museum and ensuring that they have all the information they need to enjoy their visit. You will deliver guided tours of Freemasons’ Hall, an outstanding example of an Art Deco building. You will also sell merchandise in the museum shop and invigilate the galleries, answering visitors’ questions and engaging them with our outstanding collections. This is an excellent opportunity to get involved with multiple aspects of visitor services in a heritage environment. We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
Qualifications and Experience required
• Good degree in history, humanities or similar, or equivalent experience
• Qualifications in museum studies, customer service or retail would be an advantage
• Excellent customer service
• Working in a museum or heritage environment
• Retail experience
• Some knowledge of British history since 1700 would be an advantage
• Excellent verbal communication in English
• Ability to learn new information quickly
• Cash handling experience desirable
• Physical ability to move boxes of shop stock, retrieve library books from bookstacks and patrol galleries for extended periods.
Hours of work
35 hours per week on a rota to include weekends and some evenings.
£21,500 gross per annum plus benefits.
Please email your CV and Covering Letter to Melrose here
The deadline for applications is Sunday 24th March 2019.
Interviews will be held on either Thursday 28th or Friday 29th March 2019.