This silver candelabra was presented to Dr Robert Crucefix at a meeting held at the New London Hotel, Bridge Street, Blackfriars on 24th November 1841 to mark his contribution towards freemasonry which included the development of what was then called the Asylum for Worthy Aged and Decayed Freemasons, the forerunner of today’s Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution. It is currently on display as part of the Library and Museum’s latest exhibition on Masonic charities. Elsewhere in the Library and Museum is a portrait of Crucefix./—/
The piece was designed and manufactured by William Evans at his workshop in New Street, Covent Garden. The figure at the top of the column is Charity. Around the foot of the column are three figures: an elderly man leaning on a stick with a dog to one side as the symbol of fidelity; a boy standing reading and a girl with her workbag. Together they represent the three Masonic charities which then existed- the Aged Masons’ Asylum, the Girls’ School and the Boys’ School.
For further details about the ‘Masonic Charity’ exhibition please see the events page./—/